Thank you for your interest in the Internship Program at The Art Institute of Pittsburgh. An internships is a great opportunity to mentor the next generation of creative talent.
Students who have a cumulative grade point average of 2.75 and are in 6th quarter (or above) of their associates program or the 11th quarter (or above) of their bachelor’s program are eligible for an internship.
For an internship, to qualify for academic credit, it must provide the student with the following:
- Interior Design, Fashion Marketing & Management and Fashion Design require 110 hours of work over an 11 week quarter (approximately 10 hours per week).
- Culinary Arts and Management require 150 hours of work over an 11 week quarter (approximately 13-14 hours per week or 15 hours per week in a 10 week period).
- The other majors require 99 hours of work over an 11 week quarter (approximately 9 hours per week).
- It is recommended that full time students work no more than 15-20 hours per week to responsibly manage their class schedule.
- Supervision and access to equipment/hardware/software to fulfill internship duties provided by the internship site
- Experience relevant to the student’s program of study utilizing the skills and competencies of the respective program.
Federal Guidelines, set forth by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division, required for an unpaid internship:
- The internship, even though it includes actual operation of the facilities of the employer, is similar to training which would be given in an educational environment;
- The internship experience is for the benefit of the intern;
- The intern does not displace regular employees, but works under close supervision of existing staff;
- The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern; and on occasion its operations may actually be impeded;
- The intern is not necessarily entitled to a job at the conclusion of the internship; and
- The employer and the intern understand that the intern is not entitled to wages for the time spent in the internship.
During the internship, the Supervisor will be expected to:
- Provide training to the intern
- Approve the log of internship hours worked
- Complete a mid-term and final internship evaluation
- Complete a survey to provide feedback on the internship and intern.
Please complete the online application, by clicking here or by downloading the Intern Request Form at he bottom of the page page. Specify the skills the intern will need to utilize in the internship as well as a basic description of the position. Once your request is received, we will post the opportunity to our students. Interested students will contact you directly, unless otherwise indicated on the request form.
We appreciate your willingness to oversee the work of an Art Institute student intern this quarter. Please complete this survey to give us feedback about the student’s work with you. Thank you for completing this survey!
For more information, contact: