A federal student aid program that provides part-time employment while you are enrolled in school to help pay your education expenses. Federal Work-Study provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students.

Here’s a quick overview of Federal Work-Study:

  • It provides part-time employment while you are enrolled in school.
  • It’s available to undergraduate, graduate, and professional students with financial need.
  • It’s available to full-time or part-time students.
  • It’s administered by schools participating in the Federal Work-Study Program. Check with your school’s financial aid office to find out if your school participates.

What kinds of jobs are there?
Are there jobs on campus or off campus?
How much can I earn?
How much will I be paid?
Can I work as many hours as I want?

– From https://studentaid.ed.gov/types/work-study

On Campus Work Study Positions:

  • Cage Cave & Media Center Assistant
  • Library Assistant
  • Tutor (Tutoring Center/Writing Center)
  • Service Bureau Printing Technician
  • ID Resource Room
  • IDeas Newsletter Editor
  • Classroom Assistant
  • School Student Store
  • Student Activities Coordinators
  • Fashion Lab Monitor

Office Assistants:

  • Career Services
  • Registrar
  • Academic Affairs
  • Financial Services
  • Student Affairs

Community Service Partners (Off Campus Positions):

  • Greater Pittsburgh Literacy Council
  • Manchester Craftsman Guild
  • MLK Mural Project
  • YMCA
  • Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership

If you currently volunteer with an organization or would like to work with an organization that:

  • Improves the quality of life, or solves a problem for a community’s residents – especially low-income residents.
  • Performs literacy activities in a family literacy project that provides services to families with preschool age children or elementary school children.
  • Serves as a reading tutors for children who are preschool age or are in elementary school

Your position may qualify to be paid through the work-study program. If you would like to see if your project would be able to qualify, please contact Dana Melvin in Student Affairs.

How To Apply:

*Check the job board for the positions that are currently available*

NOTE: Work study eligibility does not guarantee you a work-study position

To apply for work-study positions:

  • Qualify to receive work-study funds (see you Financial Planner for more information)
  • Have a minimum GPA of 2.5
  • Pass a background check and drug screening as a part of the application process

Download and complete the Student Employment Application. Submit your complete application with your resume to Career Services Director Dana Melvin,  for review. After your application is reviewed, you will Submit to applications to the hiring supervisor.

Tips for completing the Student Employment Application

Students must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as part of the application process for FWS assistance. The FAFSA can be completed on the Web at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov.

*Art Institute of Pittsburgh Job Board*

For more information, contact:

Dana Melvin
Director of Student Services
The Art Institute of Pittsburgh
(412) 291-6270